The It’s All Good building used to be a Pure Oil Gas Station. The Pure Oil Company started in Ohio in 1920. As they were standardizing their stations in 1925, they hired designer Carl A. Petersen who had come up the English Cottage style which had been rejected by Gulf Oil. These compact structures contained offices, storage rooms and restrooms. They were mostly prefabricated buildings, made of steel and faced with brick or stucco. Pure Oil used a consistent color scheme: a bright blue tiled gable roof with the rest of the building painted white with blue highlights. Usually two chimneys were put to either side of the building and adorned with Old English “P”s. Copper hoods were placed above the main window and door. Small steps and handrails led into the arched front doorways. The large main window was used to display products. The small window was trimmed with faux shutters and a flower box, giving the structure a homey look. Thousands of these stations were built but only a handful of the buildings survive.
Many of our customers have fond memories of washing their Dad’s car or their first car in the car washing bay which is now our Green Room!
Above is a picture of the It’s All Good Building as it appeared in 1956.
Text for the A History of Our Building section is from the following website: Roadside Architecture